|Home Page||Site Index||Level 1||Level 2||Level 3||we are devoted to new Christians|
|Level 4||Level 5||Level 6||What's New?||Flash Movies||helping you to grow in Jesus|
|Teen Page||Cartoons||Guest Book||FAQ||Links||and share Him with others|
THE ANOINTING - A BIBLICAL EXAMINATION
(Notes made by Brian Johnson from mp3s 11and 12 of Curry Blakeís audio series "New Man")
1. The anointing has nothing to do with power. In Exodus 28 verse 41 Moses was to "anoint them and consecrate them." This is to with APPOINTING. "Anoint" and "appoint" are interchangeable words. This Exodus anointing was so that Aaronís sons could minister to God in the priestly office.
2. When you got born again you were consecrated, set apart from the devil, to God. You were consecrated for His use, not the devilís use. You were appointed, anointed, a son of God. The Holy Spirit is the power of God, the executor of Godís power. Many times in the Church today He is referred to as "the anointing". But in the Bible there is a distinction made between the anointing and the Spirit of the Lord. They are not one and the same. It is the Spirit of the Lord that anoints. It is the Spirit of the Lord that appoints. It is the presence of the Spirit that allows you to be anointed, appointed to the position of a son.
3. Exodus 29 verse 7. There is a physical anointing, done with an anointing oil.
4. Exodus 29 verse 35. The anointing here is in connection with the atonement. In the New Testament context, the anointing happens at the same time as your sins are atoned for. Jesus also remitted our sins, as the Old Testament atonement only covered over sins, and didnít remit them. 2,000 years ago Jesusí atonement covered your sins and provided your healing. He bore it so I donít have to. This applies to both healing and sin; thatís what Isaiah 53 says.
5. Exodus 29 verses 35-37. It doesnít say that anyone touching the altar will get healed. The altar is set apart, sanctified for a purpose. Notice that when the altar is made holy, whatever touches it will be made holy. It doesnít say that if you touch it you will defile it. That means holiness, the anointing is stronger than defilement. You need to be around sinners so that some of your holiness can jump onto them! You donít take dozens of light bulbs and put then all in one room. No, you spread then about in the darkness. You are the light in the darkness.
6. In the Old Testament, the word for anointed one is the Hebrew word "maschiach" from which we get the word Messiah. Jesus was "the anointed one". He was called the Messiah, which was AN OFFICE, an office that only one person was going to fill. Him being "the anointed one" was what made him the Messiah. So thereís only ONE "anointed one". Youíre "in Him". So the anointing that is in you is HIS! You donít have your own anointing. You are "of the Anointed One", hence in Antioch the believers were first called "Christians" Ė technically "of the Anointed One". They were not anointed in and of themselves. Thatís why Jesus was "The Son" Ė begotten of the Father. "The Son" is an appointment and thatís an anointing. For a Christian, to be anointed is to be a son. If youíre a son, youíre anointed. Youíve been appointed to the position of "son".
7. You canít find a "healing anointing" in the Bible; that is simply Church talk! You donít have an "evangelistic anointing", Rather, you have a CALL to evangelism. Each of the 5-fold ministries is simply an expression of the spirit of Jesus through you. Jesus was all of the 5-fold ministry HIMSELF. The Bible talks about "the elect". They are simply those chosen by God to be put into the office of "sonship". Hence Jesus was called " the firstborn of many brethren". A person set apart by God in this way can use power to accomplish the will of the Father. This is done by faith, and faith directs power.
8. Exodus 30 verse 25 Ė every utensil was anointed, consecrated for holy use only (a shadow of "the new birth"). Verse 30 Ė Aaron and his sons were anointed for an office, nothing to do with power. It has to do with POSITION. Verses 31 and 32 Ė This is a physical representation of a spiritual anointing.
9. Exodus 40 verses 9 to 15 Ė They were anointed to be priests. When you got born again you became a priest in Godís Kingdom. So you were anointed and appointed as a priest.
10. Samuel 15 verse 1 Ė Samuel anointed Saul to be King. It wasnít an anointing with power to work miracles. When a King or Queen is crowned, they are anointed to a position.
11. Samuel 10 verse 1 Ė "Has not the Lord anointed you LEADER over his inheritance?" Ė this is a POSITION. The reason Samuel was doing this was in recognition of what God had ALREADY done. This is similar to us ordaining someone to the ministry Ė weíve already recognised Godís call on the personís life and weíre formalising it. This is a kind of anointing. Some today say:"Iím anointed because the Spiritís upon me". But 1 Samuel 10 verse 1 doesnít say that.
12. In Luke 4 verse 18 the Spirit came upon Jesus because God had PREVIOUSLY appointed Him. So the Spirit coming upon you and "the anointing" cannot be the same thing. Galatians 4 verse 6 proves it: "Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father."
13. All other teachings on anointings lead to puffing somebody up and "putting them on a pedestal"!